Friday, June 26, 2009

Wrist Woes

Wow, things have been great, albeit slightly adventurous, around our house! We're getting a new (and I mean in 2010 new) car sometime within 5-14 days, we got a futon (finally!) for the TV/computer room and got the husband a computer desk (which means his currant "desk," aka the card table, will be finding it;s permanent home in my crafting room...I'll be able to keep my sewing machine up and sew at will!!!) all within the last week! On the not-so-good side...we ran out of gasolio again, so we have no hot water...hopefully we'll get lucky and it'll be refilled within a couple days...maybe on Monday? But back to the positives...

The car we had was breaking left and right and driving me insane. I think my griping finally got to my husband, because he decided it was time for a new car! We're getting a 2010 Ford Escape! I'm so excited! I don't know what he plans on doing with our old car (which, by the way, is something like a '93 or '94 Chystler[?] Stratus), but he also is talking about getting a nice bicycle to ride to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday...which means I would actually have a car part of the week!!!!!! (We'll see how that pans out, though...)

I was excited beyond all belief at the futon (which I've been wanting for over a year now) and desk (YAY for the table going to my craft room! And yay for DH getting a nice desk!)...even more exciting was that he went to the warehouse and pick them up in a timely manner! So the night before last, I was helping him carry the boxes in from the car...I'm not used to heavy lifting. I am a stay-at-home mom. I change stinky butts, I wash dishes, every now and again I'll rearrange furniture, but 90% of that is simply pushing things across the floor. The heaviest things I lift in a normal day are my boys, the heavier of which is 39 pounds. So we get the box and mattress of the futon in, and then we go for the heavy box. I don't know how heavy it actually was, but like I said, I'm a wuss. lol I had to stop 2 or 3 times between the car and house to get a better grip because the weight kept it slipping out of my hands! We had to turn it to carry it up the stairs, and the momentum (and weight!) kept the box turning when it should have stopped, which twisted my wrist. It didn't feel good, but it didn't feel excruciating, either. No big deal. Got to the top of the stairs and my foot slipped, which resulted in my fingers getting smashed between the heavy box and metal handrail. That swelled up fairly quickly, actually, and I could see it bruising within half an hour to an hour (which, blessedly, means it wasn't as deep as it easily could have been!). I think my wrist would have been just fine if it weren't for previous 2000 I fell on it while at a roller skating rink and had to wear a splint on it for a month and in '03, it got smashed in a stainless steel walk-in refrigerator door at work (which resulted in consistent and frequent icing and a brace along with physical therapy). So it's a little more prone to injury. Sadly, it's my dominant hand. And, even worse, it means I can't knit or crochet! (Even typing isn't helping me right now, really...) It's feeling significantly better today, compared to yesterday, but it's still sore. I'm hoping I'll be back to crafting tomorrow! I have 3 scarves to work on!!!!

No comments: