Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's about darn time...

Finally, finally, finally, a project that I started in mid-June is about to be finished!!! A fellow mom who has a son and daughter-in-law in Iraq for the Army asked me to make them blankets after I had given her one. I had picked out the colors so fast, and actually found the green I used at the craft store on base. Maybe that was where I goofed up. I got the first one done relatively quickly. I was plugging away at the second one, and, horror of horrors, I ran out of the green!!! Eight rows away from being done, 3 of those rows being green, and I was out of the color I needed!!! I figured that, while it was irritating, it was no big deal. I'd just go back to the craft store on base and get more, right? If only! The green I bought on my first trip was the wrong shade. It was too dark. They were out of my forest green. And they don't place new orders until their supply is all but depleted. Even then, there was no guarantee that they would order the color I needed. So instead, I had to hunt a place down online that I could order it from. Thank goodness for Joann's!!! They had it, I ordered it, and about 6 weeks later, I got the yarn. Unfortunately, that put it too late to finish the afghan for the WIPs Wrestling I'd entered it into for the Ravelympics. I sat down to finally finish the blanket, and.....it was still the wrong color!!! At first I thought it was a dye lot issue, and if that were the case, I was completely and totally hosed. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that that big of a color difference would not be a dye lot issue. It turned out that the yarn I got from Joann's was soft forest green, not forest green. It made a huge difference! I don't know if it was a mistake on my part or on theirs, but either way, I was a bit annoyed. Well, I placed the order again, quadruple checking that I ordered the right color...and it came in the mail yesterday!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! DH wouldn't let me open the package until we got home from being out and about in Sacile, so I didn't even bother to try and get it from him until this morning. I was so happy when I opened the box and saw the right color!!! YAAAAAAY!!! I've already knocked one row out of the way and am on the second green row...then there's a bit of claret, soft navy, and natural business going on before the final round of green. And one row may not sound like much, but when you're working a round ripple that's this size, one row can take a good 20-30 minutes...I'm just so happy and relieved to finally be able to finish this project! I was beginning to think I wouldn't get it done before their deployment was over! LOL And now, back to my hooking and your regular scheduled programming.....

No comments: